Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Boo Boo Bear, Sharpie Marker & My Car...

     Boo Boo Bear was in 1st grade when he began to learn how to write his name in both lower case and capital letters.  What a terrific bench mark for little kids.  They work so hard and have so much pride in the accomplishment once achieved and they practice, practice, practice to their hearts content.    Boo Boo Bear was no different than any other kid.  He'd write his name on every piece of paper he could, sometimes twice.

     I can recall wanting to write my name in the worst way.  I would watch grown ups write everything from their name, to checks, to anything that included a pen or pencil and words.  And oh my gosh, when they did the fancy cursive writing!  I could have watched FOREVER!  I practiced my cursive on anything I could.  Nearly every book I owned had my version of cursive, it looked something like the picture to the left.  It was written in pencil, it was written in pen, but mostly it was written in crayola.

     Now I wish I could say that all of Boo Boo Bear's writing attempts were like that of most children, thankfully most of them were.  We provide all sorts of writing instruments for our children; colored pencils, number 2 pencils, chalks, crayons, and under supervision, we may even bestow upon our little nuggets the coveted ball point pens.  But NEVER, and I mean NEVER EVER do we allow or offer our precious little learners the insidious permanent marker, better known by its street name, Sharpie.  So how that lil' nugget of mine got the Sharpie into his precious mitts is still a mystery to this day.  Somehow he ever so quietly, and most likely in super hero stealth mode, was able to practice the capitol "K" (first letter of his real name)  on not just one, but both the backs of the driver and passenger seats in my car.  Yup, big GIANT K's.

     I've not touched those K's for more than a year now.  It's easy to forget they're there when I'm never in the back seat of my own car.  And even easier to forget when I've repeatedly told myself, "Casey, forget it.  What's done is done, let it go."  But now that the emotionally charged part of me actually has let it go, I figured it was finally worth a try to eradicate that villainous Sharpie marker.

     Google is great for trouble shooting a problem.  I read so many stories promising do it this way, do it that way....  I can't believe the chemicals suggested.  I mean, how could there be so many bottles, pastes, goo's and sprays?  Each one claiming it's sure to do the trick. I hadn't heard of most of them, let alone did I know where to find them.

     The more I read, the more I realised most of these remedies simply would not work.  After months of reading I found a solution that was so incredibly simple AND it made sense.  So, for anyone that has had a Sharpie attack, here's your answer: to remove Sharpie from fabric.  I wish I wouldn't have waited so long.


xoxoxo
Casey Everly

2 comments:

  1. I've always had great luck with rubbing alcohol. Barring that, using a dry-erase marker over it and "erasing" it has worked well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Casey! Can you please email me? (Email address on my "Contact Me" page on the blog) I'm DYING to get you on the "Foster Fridays" panel if you're interested. :-)

    ReplyDelete