Tuesday, April 24, 2012

From One Foster Moms Blog To Another

     Since I've started blogging, I've been scouring the Internet for single foster mom's and dad's that blog about her/his experiences.  I've been both surprised and disappointed to find there aren't many blogs like this out there.  I do have high expectations of people, which is a character flaw that I'm working on in my personal emotional growth, but COME ON PEOPLE, I need to know you're out there!

     It's a tad intimidating to write and be willing to share about my daily life and I'd hoped more people would be as open with their life as I intend to be with mine.  I found that many of the blogs are just plain dead.  In other words, someone started a blog and never returned to update it.  Some people never even came back to follow up with a second post.  Bummer!  I really am trying to find people, a community rather, that I can identify with, and feel a part of.

     Today, and by accident (I was surfing for a specific topic), I found a blogger that does a GREAT job of chronicling her life as a foster mom.  I meant to just drop in, peek around and if I saw anything I liked, I would be sure to leave a comment and say "hi, good job blogging foster mom". But, like a kid in a candy store, I got lost in the sweetness of the blogs tales of family, foster kids, bio parents and spicy humor.

     If you are a Foster Parent, better yet, a single foster parent, you should check out her blog: I Must Be Trippin' .  This lady, Mimi, has such a zest and love for the kids she fosters, and lets call it what it really is, she is their surrogate mommy.  Mimi is a single foster mom of multiple foster children.  In her blog, she's positive, creative, and funny, making the reading informative and enjoyable. Just reading her posts inspired me to throw on my work clothes, get out the tool box, and start wrenching on a custom attitude adjustment, special for yours truly.  I want to have a glass-half-full kind of perspective. 

     Mimi seems to be the kinda lady I could see myself sitting with on the front porch, a mojito in hand, swapping foster care war stories.  Each of us showing off our battle scars, recalling how each scar is a reminder of a child's life we've impacted.  Many times, a foster parent impacts the life of all the family involved with the foster child.  To choose to foster these innocent, precious little people is a big responsibility, and an even bigger personal reward for the foster parent.

     I'm grateful for people like Mimi, that work diligently to share daily life stories that encourage and support like minded people.  With a blog, you have the ability to touch the heart and minds of people and families anywhere in the world and allow the opportunity for everyone to find someone to connect with.  I can only hope that my blog will bring joy to someone else the way Mimi's did for me.

xoxoxo
Casey Everly

5 comments:

  1. Awww!!! You just made my day!!! :-) Blogging has been a great outlet for me, and I LOVE that it's helping other people too. Over the past few years in Foster/Adopt Land, I've "met" some amazing woman online who understand exactly what I'm going through because they are right there themselves. Foster care is hard. But it is also COMPLETELY worth it! Looking forward to getting to "know" you too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey

    I just started blogging about my journey to foster care.I am a single foster mom to be. I look forward to sharing experiences with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I can't wait to read about your journey. I'ts been several years since I was where you are at. I clearly remember the day I decided I was going to be a foster parent. It was scary and exciting all at once. I wish you the very best!!!
      Casey

      Delete
  3. Hi, Casey!

    I have been a single foster parent for almost 2 years now. I am just beginning to blog about it. I just signed adoption paperwork for my current little guy and cannot wait for the next placement. I can't wait to get to know you!

    Tammy
    http://bigmamacrew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete